Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Test Your Play -- solution

♠ A J 7 4 3 2
♥ Q
♦ A 10 2
♣ J 4 2
♠ 10
♥ A K 10 6 4 2
♦ K Q 9 5
♣ 10 7

West
North
East
South
1♥
Pass 1♠ Pass 2♦
Pass 3♣ Dbl 3♥
Pass 4♥ All Pass

Let's say the defense starts 3 rounds of clubs as you ruff (LHO started with Axx; for purposes of this problem you can assume RHO has 5 clubs) and all follow to the ♥Q. Now what?

As discussed yesterday, I crossed back with a low diamond to play 2 more trumps, RHO pitching a club on the 3rd round. That left this ending:

♠ A J 7 4
♥
♦ A 10
♣
♠ 10
♥ 10 6
♦ Q 9 5
♣

It seems like you basically have to pick up diamonds, and that playing for 3-3 or Jx is best, but I figured that I didn't have to do that right away. So, I tried ♦A (both follow, no J), ♠A and ruffing a spade. RHO followed with the king and the eight. Seems awfully likely that he has KQ87, so I exited my last trump, pitching the blocking ♦10 and endplaying LHO.

The main hint is "the blocking ♦10". Say I had unblocked that card at trick 5, leaving a very slightly different end position:

♠ A J 7 4
♥
♦ A 2
♣
♠ 10
♥ 10 6
♦ Q 9 5
♣

Now you have a much better option: ♠A, spade ruff, ♦A, spade ruff.

Case 1: LHO follows to 3 spades, and must be 3=4=3=3, so cash your diamond and concede trick 13.

Case 2: LHO only has 2 spades. Now she has 2 losing options: overruff and lead a diamond into your tenace, or pitch a diamond, allowing you to complete your elopement.

But, I think you can do better still. See below.



Basically, if RHO shows up with heart length, you'll probably regret unblocking ♦10. So, I think the best line is to not touch diamonds, but cross back to hand with a spade ruff. Now if LHO shows up with heart length, play along similar lines. If RHO shows up with heart length, then if he had a stiff spade play for 3-3 diamonds. If not, play ♦K and hook ♦10. If RHO started with 2425 with both red jacks, you'll go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment