Monday, August 2, 2010

Test Your Play

♠ A J 7 4 3 2
Q
A 10 2
♣ J 4 2
♠ 10
A K 10 6 4 2
K Q 9 5
♣ 10 7

West
North
East
South
1
Pass 1♠ Pass 2
Pass 3♣ Dbl 3
Pass 4 All Pass

Let's say the defense starts 3 rounds of clubs as you ruff (LHO started with Axx; for purposes of this problem you can assume RHO has 5 clubs) and all follow to the Q. Now what?

I think there's a great line, including at least one very pretty variant. A sort of hint is below the fold: the inferior line I actually took.




I crossed back with a low diamond to play 2 more trumps, RHO pitching a club on the 3rd round. That left this ending:

♠ A J 7 4
A 10
♠ 10
10 6
Q 9 5

It seems like you basically have to pick up diamonds, and that playing for 3-3 or Jx is best, but I figured that I didn't have to do that right away. So, I tried A (both follow, no J), ♠A and ruffing a spade. RHO followed with the king and the eight. Seems awfully likely that he has KQ87, so I exited my last trump, pitching the blocking 10 and endplaying LHO.

More on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Here's what I came up with, not reading below the fold: SA, S ruff, H AK.

    If lefty has 4H: DK (unblock T), DA, S ruff. If he overruffs (endplayed) or spades 3-3 you make. Down when LHO is 4-4-2-3 without DJ.

    If RHO has 4H: DK, diamond hook. It's a favorite. Down 3 if it fails :-).

    ReplyDelete