Monday, August 10, 2009

Spingold bidding problem

My partner thinks he got this one wrong in a Spingold match:


AJTx
KJTx
Kxx
xx

1D (1S) X (P)
3D ( P) ?


Would people bid 3N instead of double?

Having doubled, what do you do now?

Result below.



He chose 3N and the opponents ran 5 clubs. At the other table, they bid 4D and got to 5D making. One expert suggested bidding 3S, which is great if it implies club doubt, but it doesn't sound that way to me.

My hand was:


x
Axx
AQJxxxx
QJ


On the lead of SK, 5D is cold (win, draw trumps, pitch a club on SJ).

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of a quantitative 4NT if my agreements are clear enough. Ax clubs would make it a pretty good slam and even Kx makes it no worse than a heart hook. Maybe 4D is better, not sure. I admit, I was thinking game vs. slam, not best game. Maybe he'll bid 5D over 4NT with the actual hand.

    ReplyDelete