Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Suicide squeeze

There isn't much to this story, but I don't see a suicide squeeze every day so here it is:

♠ J 9 6 5
♥ Q 5 4
♦ J 9 5 2
♣ 10 5
♠ Q 8 7 ♠ K 10 3
♥ K 9 7 6 ♥ 10 3 2
♦ A 7 ♦ Q 8 4 3
♣ Q 7 6 4 ♣ A J 2
♠ A 4 2
♥ A J 8
♦ K 10 6
♣ K 9 8 3


I opened 1N and bought it. The defense started with a low club to the ace and jack. I won and continued the suit; LHO won that and played a 4th round, North and East both pitching hearts. I tried a heart and LHO won the king and continued the suit. I won in dummy, and ran ♦9 to LHO's ♦A. Another heart came back and RHO pitched a diamond without trouble. This is the end position:

♠ J 9 6
♥
♦ J 5
♣
♠ Q 8 7 ♠ K 10 3
♥ 9 ♥
♦ 7 ♦ Q 8
♣ ♣
♠ A 4 2
♥
♦ K 10
♣


With 4 in the bank for each side, I tried a low spade, and when LHO played the ♠Q the defense was finished. In practice, he cashed the long heart and squeezed his partner, but a spade or diamond would not have been any better. At this stage, the only winning defense is to let RHO win the ♠10 and continue with ♠K.



No comments:

Post a Comment